Before cooking marijuana edibles with concentrates you’ll need to learn how to decarb wax (or BHO, shatter, dabs, butane honey oil). Decarboxylation is the process of gently heating your butane hash oil in order to activate the THC in a way that your body can process via ingestion. We’ll show you the best way to decarb shatter by using a low heat in your oven.
It’s very easy to learn how to decarb shatter, the secret is to heat it long enough that the chemical reaction completes but without overdoing it. If you decarb dabs too long it will degrade some THC into CBN (a cannabinoid that will make you sleepy). This may be desirable if you’re looking for a bedtime snack, but for most people who want to learn how to decarb BHO the goal is to maximize the THC content of your edibles.
How to decarb BHO
- Heat oven to 250 degrees farenheit. Place measured amount of butane hash oil on a silicone liner on an over-safe pyrex pan (or use parchment paper, as shown in the photos on this page).
- Cook in oven for approximately 25 minutes.
- Monitor the shatter to know when it’s done. When you decarb BHO, it will bubble. The decarboxlyation process releases water and carbon dioxide. Initially it will bubble large bubbles:Then smaller bubbles:You don’t want to overcook the shatter or it will make you sleepy. So keep a close eye on the bubbling throughout the shatter decarb process. Poke the bubbles with a skewer to loosen them towards the end, and then watch for new bubbles to form. Remove from oven when bubbling slows to a near stop.
- Let cool for a few minutes then place the silicone mat or parchment in the freezer for a few minutes to make it easier to handle. Work quickly if you touch it with your fingers or it will melt into a sticky mess.
You learned how to decarb shatter – what next?
Now that you have just learned how to decarb wax, here are a few ways to use your decarboxylated concentrates in edibles recipes:
- How to make marijuana infused honey tincture
- How to make cannabutter with shatter
- THC-infused cocktails
- Turn decarbed shatter into THC-infused coconut oil and use in this THC-infused honey tincture recipe